Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Revolution: Part 2

Revolution: As stated before, I am deeply saddened by the fact that Revolution is the only new television show I'm really excited about this year and I fear it will be cancelled at the end of the season. Revolution debuted to 11.7 million. This seems good, but most shows lose a number of people after the first few episodes. Let's say they lose 25%, which would bring it to 8.78 million viewers. I don't think that's good enough for a show like this to stay on TV. So this deepens my fear of it getting cancelled.

Second, the show itself: One of my favorite parts of any show or movie like this is the "shit hits the fan" moments. Think of the first 20 or so minutes of the Dawn of the Dead remake or the first episode of Jericho or the first episode of Lost. Shit has hit the fan and the characters are trying to deal with it, figure it out or just desperately trying to get to a safe place before they can even think about what has just happened and how they will go on.

The show began with life in normalcy. Then, quicker than expected, Dad runs in and warns the wife that shit is about to hit the fan. He call someone up to warn them, but halfway through the call, the shit hits the fan. Power goes off everywhere. The words "Revolution" come on the screen in a Lost kind of way (which I love) and I pause the show.

Holy shit! This is gonna be awesome! The fan has officially been hit by a whole bunch of shit!

(Un-pause)  15 years later. Back to basics. Growin' corn. Burlap-sac-shirt-wearing kid. Happy little community in an old timey way.

Where's my shit hits the fan moment?!?!?!?!?

I'm guessing they're going to save those first few hours/days/weeks after the power goes out for flashbacks. Which is fine, I guess, but they still could've done that and given us at least one episode before the 15-year jump. The shit hits the fan moment won't be as exciting and nerve-wracking knowing how it all turns out.

I think they really dropped the ball here. That being said, by the time the episode ended, I had an overall feeling of enjoyment. It could've been better, a whole lot better, but it was fine. Good enough to continue watching, good enough not to be totally disappointed.

But good enough for the rest of America to keep watching? No way. I'll be completely surprised if this show is still on TV next year. I'll be completely surprised if the big cliffhanger ending of season 1 will be fulfilled and all of us who are left watching at this point get our time's worth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment