Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Fall TV 2012: Revolution

Normally there's a slew of new fall TV shows I'm excited to give a try. Last year brought me Revenge, New Girl, Suburgatory, 2 Broke Girls, Up All Night, Secret Circle, Terra Nova, Whitney and probably a couple more I'm forgetting.

This years crop is bringing me exactly ONE show I'm really excited about, but even that show is a scary proposition. The show in question is Revolution. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for this one. What is scary though is that I have a deep seeded feeling it will end up being many things.
   
First, it will be like Jericho and every other post-apocalyptic show. I enjoyed Jericho, but the deep down, I know there is a post-apocalyptic formula done over and over. It is as following: An awesome and captivating first couple of episodes. Then, a whole shit load of really, really long, drawn out and boring character development episodes. Finally, if you have continued to stick with the show to the end of the season, you're usually rewarded by an exciting final two and a half episodes. This will all lead up to the next thing I'm scared Revolution will be. In the season ending episode, something really big will happen. It will make my mouth water, leaving me excited for the second season, which just has to be better thanks to that really big thing just revealed and because we finally got all that boring character development behind us. Then, in the final minutes of the episode, there will be a major cliffhanger.

And finally, after all that, the show will be cancelled and I will be rewarded and compensated for sticking with this show and dedicating too many hours of my time to it by never knowing what would've happened next.

This is one of my biggest problems with the TV networks. I have no trust in them to do right by me. Even the worst shows have millions of people watching them. And yes, I understand cancelling low rated shows is a business decision. But can't it be a law that all shows get at least a 2-hour TV movie to wrap things up for the people who have watched it? Is that too much to ask for? I'm sick and tired of being left to wonder what the hell would've happened next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment